ShowBiz & Sports Lifestyle

Hot

Reports: Tony Clark resigning from role as MLBPA director

- - Reports: Tony Clark resigning from role as MLBPA director

Field Level MediaFebruary 18, 2026 at 3:40 AM

0

Major League Baseball Players Association executive director Tony Clark talks to reporters March 5, 2025, at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, Florida. (Evan Petzold / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images)

MLBPA executive director Tony Clark is resigning from his position mere months before the start of a potential lockout, according to multiple media reports.

The reports emerged Tuesday, the same day that Clark was supposed to begin his annual tour of spring training camps.

Clark, 53, has been in the position since 2013. The 15-year major league veteran has been under investigation by the Eastern District of New York since last summer for improper use of licensing money. ESPN also reported on Tuesday that the investigation revealed he had an inappropriate relationship with his sister-in-law, who had been hired by the union in 2023.

The investigation is focusing on the MLBPA's use of OneTeam Partners, a multibillion-dollar group-licensing company that the union co-founded in 2019 with the NFL players union, as well as Players Way, a for-profit, youth baseball initiative that has spent at least $3.9 million but offered few events, ESPN reported. Players Way has been shut down, ESPN reported, though union officials declined to confirm that action.

The MLBPA hired outside counsel to keep the players on the government's investigation, which began after a whistleblower complaint filed against Clark with the National Labor Relations Board in November 2024. The complaint alleged self-dealing, misuse of resources, abuse of power and nepotism.

The attorney, Adam Braverman, and Clark's lawyer, Daniel Collins, did not return messages left by ESPN on Tuesday.

Players in leadership positions in the union were scheduled to meet on Tuesday afternoon to discuss Clark's resignation, ESPN reported.

"This happening during the investigation is not overly surprising," New York Mets second baseman Marcus Semien, also a subcommittee member, told reporters on Tuesday. "But it still hurts. It's still something I'm processing and I just want our player group to move forward this year and be able to have a good year of negotiating with leadership that cares about what players want.

"The timing being February, when we're looking forward to December when the CBA expires, is better than it happening in November if something came out."

Clark took over as director of the MLBPA in 2013 after the death of former director Michael Weiner. He oversaw a pair of new CBA agreements, an on-time one in 2017 and another after the 2021 season which resulted in a 99-day shutdown of the sport and was resolved just in time for an on-time Opening Day.

That CBA agreement expires at the end of the upcoming season, and the two sides appear to be far apart in negotiations on a few key topics. Most notably, owners have expressed desire to establish a salary cap that exists in all other major professional American sports.

The union has said that is a non-starter, with Clark vehemently opposing the creation of a salary cap, saying it would not help the sport's competitive balance.

It remains to be seen what timeline there could be for the election of a new MLBPA director and how that could affect the CBA negotiations, which normally carry on over the course of the season.

MLB has not lost games due to a lockout since the 1994 strike canceled that year's World Series.

--Field Level Media

Original Article on Source

Source: “AOL Sports”

We do not use cookies and do not collect personal data. Just news.